What happens after closing on the property?

The transfer tax stamp (or exemption stamp, if applicable) must be affixed to the deed prior to recording of the deed. The County Recorder may not record the deed if there is no stamp, unless an exemption is applicable. The stamp must be affixed in a location that is practical for County recording purposes. It cannot obscure information on the deed, cannot be placed in the County Recorder's 3-inch-by-5-inch space in the upper right-hand corner of the document, and will incur an additional fee if located anywhere within a ½-inch margin on the edge of the page. The City will provide a Recording Cover Sheet upon request for anyone desiring it.

Show All Answers

1. What is it?
2. Who pays it?
3. How much is it?
4. What is required?
5. How do I know if my property is within Sycamore corporate limits?
6. When can I pay it?
7. Where can I get it?
8. Are there any exemptions for Sycamore residents?
9. Are there any additional exemptions?
10. What happens after closing on the property?
11. What if I lose the stamp?
12. Can I get a refund?
13. Who can I contact if I have questions?