Building Permit Information
Permits are required before beginning new construction, repairs, additions, alterations, or demolition projects. Only legible, complete and signed applications for permit will be processed. Business can be conducted through our website, in person, via email or over the phone. The completed application and all submittals may be brought to the Community Development Department Monday through Friday, 7:00 AM - 4:00 PM, or placed in the drop-box located to the left of the building's entrance.
What Kind of Permit Do You Need?
Please click on your project type below for a pamphlet to assist you with questions about various permit types. These documents are for informational purposes only. Where differences between these documents and the City's adopted codes occur, the provisions of the City's adopted codes will prevail.
- Construction of a new residential structure
- Construction of commercial or industrial structure
- Additions or alterations to a residential, commercial or industrial structure
- Remodeling of a residential, commercial or industrial structure that involves structural, plumbing and/or electrical revisions
- Commercial Build-Out
- Basement - Finish Existing
- Deck - New or Replacement
- Demolition of Any Structure
- Electrical Revisions and Repairs
- Electrical Service - New or Upgrade
- Fence - New or Replacement
- Fire Alarm - New, Revision or Repair
- Fire Sprinkler - New, Revision or Repair
- Garage - Detached
- Irrigation System - Lawn
- Kitchen Hood - Revision or Repair
- Plumbing - Revision or Repair
- Sanitary Service - Replacement or Repair
- Sign - Permanent (Application)
- Sign - Temporary (Application)
- Swimming Pool - In-Ground or Above-Ground, including Hot Tubs, Spas, and Whirlpools
- Water Service - Replacement or Repair
- Other - As deemed necessary. Please call 815-895-4434 with questions.
Permits are not required for cosmetic improvements such as removal and replacement window, siding, roof shingles, painting, flooring, tiling, trim work, changing out cabinetry, and replacing electrical and plumbing fixtures in the same location. Non-structural repairs to interior surfaces don't require permits provided no changes are made to the structural framing, electrical, or plumbing. Emergency repairs may be addressed without immediately obtaining a permit, but the permit must be applied for within 7 days of the emergency repair work being performed.
Standard lead times for issuance of permits are:
- Commercial and industrial projects: 3 to 4 weeks
- Residential projects: 2 to 3 weeks
- All other permits: 5 to 7 business days
Sets of drawings to be submitted with application:
- New commercial or industrial construction: 3 sets of drawings
- New residential construction: 1 set of drawings
- All others: 1 set of drawings
- Project drawings to be sealed by an architect: See the Summary of the Illinois Architecture Act of 1989 (225 ILCS 305/1).
Call 815-895-4434 a minimum of one day before the desired inspection date during normal business hours. Provide the permit number, job address, name and phone number to secure a date and time on the inspection schedule. If calling during normal business hours and you receive a voicemail, please leave your name and phone number and your call will be returned as soon as available. Inspection requests left on the voicemail before 7 am and after 3 pm will not be honored.
- Do you have a list of contractors that you recommend?
The City does not make specific recommendations but we are able to provide you with a list of electrical contractors who are registered in the City of Sycamore.
- How are building setbacks measured?
Setbacks are measured from the property line. Setbacks are not measured from the street, curb or sidewalk. If you are unsure of the location of your property lines, you should refer to your plat of survey or have a licensed land surveyor locate your property pins.
- How do I get a plat of survey for my property?
First, check your records from when you purchased your property to see if you requested a plat of survey at your closing. If you are unable to locate your plat of survey, contact a licensed land surveyor to perform a survey to create a plat of your property. The City of Sycamore does not provide plats of survey for private properties.